Why do we lie about what we buy?

We remove tags, mark our purchases down and hide things in the cupboard. We lie about the price or make out we’ve had ‘That old thing’ for ages…


Our beautiful new dress, shoes, make-up or fragrance gets rushed in amongst the dry cleaning or stuffed into a drawer before anyone can scrutinize it.


What is it that motivates us to be dishonest about our latest purchase?


Do we feel so ashamed of ourselves that we want to pretend that the enormous shopping high we felt a few short hours ago never happened?


I don’t think so.


It is because of that high that we are motivated to be at our sneakiest.


We spend a day ( we wish ) finding our way around the shopping centre, having lunch or a cup of coffee and looking at all the shops have to offer. Boutiques with their perfectly assembled sales girls, the fresh, polished, manicured beauties at the cosmetic counter and the crisp clean new linen in haberdashery. So much to look at, smell, take in, and touch.


After a day experiencing a fantasy world away from family worries and financial stresses, why would we want to come home to a negative, accusing and judgemental reception!?


I don’t hide my new belongings because I am ashamed of them! I hide them to protect them!


I quite simply am not ready to feel bad about my shopping spree yet.


Later, perhaps at the sight of the bald tyres on my car or when the credit card statement comes in I may feel a pang of guilt but, my own self loathing, not bestowed upon me by another!


I simply want to prolong the high and not be made feel small for my pleasure.


Is that so wrong?


I love shopping!

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Handbags..




Ahh the lure of the new handbag ..


One of my biggest temptations, along with the mere shoe and shiney accessory, is for a fabulous, functional and wonderfully NEW handbag.



Side pockets, front pockets, zips, compartments, straps and 'flaps' have me gripped with longing. When I come by a $30 or even $10 bargain, I almost yelp!



I have friends who faithfully tote around their 3 year old 'Fossil' or whithering 'Witchery' but me, I prefer a cheaper model with a frequent turnover. After all, not all bags will go with all things, right!?



I have succumbed to the temptation to purchase far above my means in the past. Then I found that to begin with, I felt so paranoid about keeping the damn things shiney and clean and new looking that I dared not put them down anywhere or wear them anywhere that may soil, and it took the fun out of taking them out at all. Then, after a couple of months, even the Oroton didn't do it for me anymore... Off to Ebay, they went, to find a better home.



I do have a couple of very well made, multi purpose leather classics and also some pre-loved labels that will be passed down to future generations but overall I confess, I am a handbag whore. I go from bag to bag as each situation and season changes. I have totes,satchels, shoulder bags, back-packs, bum bags ( for travel purposes only), clutches, and crochet numbers.



I love compartments and functionality and versatility. I love colours and neutrals and textures. I love little zippy things that go in the bigger ones to keep everything tidy and separate.



I DON"T like; gaudy, bulky, flashy or knock-off bags. I don't like ones that fall over when you put them down ( unless they are very small and you can hang them on your chair) I'm not a fan of the polka dot or the bow but understand they too have their place. I hate sharp corners that stick into me or scratch. I do not like Fendi, Prada or Gucci or the like, mainly because when I was younger, only rich old ladies with gold clanky stuff had them, but also because no one would believe they were real if I did have one.



I don't like bags that have too small an opening for me to see my stuff in.



I don't like bags that make noises. ( I know that sounds weird but trust me, some do seem to make strange sounds when you move them )



So, as long as I am otherwise eco aware and environmentally friendly and continue to recycle ( when I can actually bare to part with my beauties) then it's ok to indulge myself....



Right?



Oh, and did I mention..

I also like shoes...



; )



B

No comments:

Post a Comment